Bus & Train
Commuting by bus or train not only takes another car off the road, but it also eases your stress and reduces your cost to commute. For the Austin area, Capital Metro offers several different ways to get you to work and back.
Park and Ride lots allow you to park in a lot near your home, hop on the train or bus, and let others worry about traffic congestion.
The population in central Texas has reached 2 million and is projected to double by 2040, but the road capacity is expected to increase by only 15%. Using public transit provides a sustainable alternative that keeps commuters productive, connects our community members to school, health care, and jobs, and improves the overall quality of life.
Frequently Asked Questions
Tools & Resources
Plan your trip by bus or train with Capital Metro’s Rider’s Guide. Services offered by Capital Metro include:
- MetroBus – local bus service to get you around town and flyer routes that take you from the edges of the service area to central Austin.
- MetroExpress – express bus service for riders outside the city center with stops at various Park and Ride lots.
- MetroRapid – frequent service with fewer stops along Austin’s busiest corridors of N. Lamar to S. Congress and Burnet Rd. to S. Lamar.
- MetroRail – commuter rail service to the city center with stations between Leander and downtown Austin.
Find your closest park and ride lot and trade your long commute into a relaxing, productive ride. Service area and maps across Austin are here: https://www.capmetro.org/using-parknrides/
News & Media
- Are You Ready to Rock (The Car-Free Festival Experience)? September 27, 2019
- Car2Go is backing out of Austin as crippling mobility issues continue September 23, 2019
- The Small-City Vision Zero Challenge September 23, 2019